Pages

▼

Monday, May 19, 2014

DIY Baby Feather Headband


Are you underwhelmed by the giant flower headbands that everyone puts on their baby girls?
Or just looking for something different?
Personally, I like the flower headbands, but I was also looking for something unique. 
I'm really loving feathers these days - on cards, on scrapbook pages… why not on headbands?
Here's a quick and easy tutorial on how to make a feather headband for your little one :) 



Materials: 

Colourful elastic band
(I wouldn't use generic elastic, look for a pretty headband one!)
Two colours of felt
Embroidery string to match your elastic colour
Scissors
Needles


The rest is very simple! 
[Note: the sizes are perfect for my 4 month old girl]

1. Cut the background felt piece into a 10cm x 3cm rectangle, and the front piece into a 5.5cm x 3cm (just under) piece. 

2. Cut your elastic to 34cm.

3. To cut the feathers, first fold them in half lengthwise. Then cut a curve onto the bottom, and a point at the top. Unfold the rectangle to reveal the feather shape. Then randomly cut out some notches to give the feather texture. 

4. Next I handstiched the ends of the elastic together with my embroidery thread. 

5. Finally, I lined up the feathers where I wanted them on the elastic. I chose to put the feathers to the side so that the tip of them came about 1-2cm past the midpoint of the elastic band. Once the feathers are in place, hand stitch them on.


I was very happy with the end result! So much so that I went ahead a made a few more! 
Some for my baby girl, and some for baby shower gifts :) 


Here are a couple pictures of my beautiful baby girl rocking her feather headband :) 


Hope you found some inspiration! 

{xoxo}

1 comment: