<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : Baby, Coffee, and a Good Book

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Baby, Coffee, and a Good Book


My private little world is filled with to-do lists. 
Things I have to get done around the house, people to call, crafts to finish, errands to run. 
Those lists haven't gotten any shorter since Ellie came around. 

Now I'm organizing my life in the midst of cleaning cloth diapers, bathing the baby, and pumping milk. 
I get very wrapped up in my lists.  
I plan my week. Monday list, Tuesday list, Friday list. I'm aware of each things that hasn't been crossed off at the end of the day. Then I'm re-writing lists for the rest of the week. 
That's how I get things done. It's how I avoid sitting on the couch all day watching more Sex in the City episodes and overeating. 
But yesterday…. ahhhh, yesterday. Yesterday there was no list. 
Yesterday, after a busy weekend away, I gave myself a day off. 
Obviously, I didn't take time off from Ellie, but my sweet baby girl and I had a day without lists. I ignored the fact that the fridge was empty and there was no sugar for our coffee. I ignored the fact that the laundry was just hanging there waiting to be put away. And I certainly ignored the bathroom counters that needed scrubbing.

"What did you do instead?", you ask?
I sipped my coffee while it was still warm, I read pages of my book that had gone untouched for weeks, I gave my puppies lots of pets, and I starred at my little girl for hours between naps. 
It was bliss.
It is so important for me to take a day off every now and then. 
I know that sounds silly, coming from a mom on maternity leave who is at home every day, but being at home every day is tiring! I let my lists take over my life, and sometimes I just have to put the lists down and remember to live. To sip slowly and smile at Ellie more often. 



Of course, when the day was over, I felt the same way I always do after days like that: lazy. 
I also felt rested and rejuvenated, and I was happy to be all caught up on my 19 Kids and Counting episodes (helps me feel better about my life with one kid!). 
But I was ready to get back to my schedule. Ready to get busy again. 
I guess all I need is one day off to relax and motivate me to tackle a new to-do list :) 
I just one day to sip my coffee, enjoy my book, and take in the cuteness of my baby girl. 



Do you have trouble letting go of your lists like I do?
What do you do when you need to relax?
Does your baby let you do it?
Just curious!

{xoxo}

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't necessarily have lists for every day.. but I have a little planner-notebook and it's always got a couple of tasks for each day. Usually householdy things like making food, errands, etc. I try to keep us stocked in a list of household staple foods (bread, baking, granola, etc- I want to do a post on this!). Then there is all the usual feeding, changing, naps for the kids. I only have to wash my diapers about once every 5-6 days since I have so many... so it's not so bad.

My time to relax is right now.. the small window when the kids naps overlap! Which hasn't even happened lately as J is napping later :(. But I like to make a hot drink and usually sit down and read blogs, catch up on emails, etc. I don't usually turn on the computer before then because B gets too interested in it and just wants to press the buttons.. and since I don't have a cell it usually means I don't know whats going on in the 'outside world' until the afternoon. Besides maybe a quick peek after breakfast on the playbook/ Brian's cell. But I don't mind!

 
At April 10, 2014 at 11:53 PM , Anonymous Katie Vschaaf said...

I have a general "to do" list but Casey ALWAYS trumps the list. he's too good to pass up and growing so fast and I know I won't ever get this kinda time when we have more than one or 5, so I'm just enjoying being. Just being. We have a good routine and things we do each day, long dog walks-visits with friends-grocery shopping-meal prep etc but generally we're too busy playing to look at the list :)
He goes to bed between 6&7 and is up at 8 so I just save my relaxing for the evening when I know he's out for the night cause the day goes so quick! I drink my coffee while he eats breakfast and he's a pretty independent player so if I do need to catch up on calls/e-mails he's happy with his toys :D

 
At April 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Lindi said...

I think that sounds wonderful! So important to just be with our kids! I'm learning to do that :)

 
At April 11, 2014 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Lindi said...

Although I do always have Ellie right beside me while I'm doing stuff. Sitting in her chair on the counter with me :) or she's napping! (She's a very good sleeper!!)

 
At April 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Katie Vschaaf said...

That's great!!!! So awesome to have a good sleeper (another vanderschaaf trait!) I know I'll have to get my act together when #2 comes and so on especially when Greg's away or nothing will ever be accomplished ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home