<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : Book Club #1

Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Club #1


GOAL #218: Join a book club.

CHECK!

I successfully attended my first book club this week. Yay! My expectations in a nutshell were: meet some cool people, talk about a book. Not complicated.

The book we read was "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. It was a great choice for my first discussion group because the ending of the book is open for interpretation. It was very interesting to hear others' views on the story. Different peoples opinion of how the story ended. Different interpretations of the symbolism in the story. Different interpretations of the ease of reading.

For example, I found the book very difficult to dive into. I had to read it in small doses before I was really able to get into it, and overall I would've hated the book if not for the last 20 pages. Some others found it to be a page-turner from the very beginning. Interesting perspectives.

I think what most surprises me is how deeply I am able to look into a story. All those years of high-school English did teach me something! I still s-t-r-o-n-g-l-y benefitted from the wisdom of other group members in looking at the symbolism and themes, but I was surprised by my level of understanding. I thought that because I hated English as a school subject, I might find these discussions a bit dull. but I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers to a successful first venture into book discussion! Excited to find out what the next book will be!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2012 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like this book! I think i read it in high school English. Now you should go and see the movie!

 
At December 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM , Blogger Lisa T said...

I want to see the movie too! Seems like it would be a hard thing to translate to film but I'm hoping for the best :)
(I also found the beginning super hard to get through...but the rest of the book was awesome!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home