<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : Summer's Gold CSA in Grande Prairie

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer's Gold CSA in Grande Prairie

Getting pregnant means BIG changes in your life. Or at least I'm told it will..... and with this change comes a certain level of responsibility. I feel more obligated to eat healthy foods, and to get my recommended amount of fruits and vegetables, and to exercise (at least a little bit) each day. I still go off track from this... clearly... but it's always in the back of my head that I'm being healthy for two now.

The tricky thing is that I don't want to get caught up in all the "do this"/"don't do this"'s that I read on the internet. I'm obviously not drinking alcohol or smoking or anything, but if I read that I shouldn't eat deli meats I get really hung up on all the deli meats I may have eaten accidentally, and how much of it, and whether I should eat things that may have deli meats, etc. etc. You can probably find it written to avoid anything while pregnant if you look hard enough. I still want to be cautious, I just don't want to be paranoid.

So I'm doing things that I know are good - like building up my inventory of vegetables! Not only do I have my veggie garden at mom's house growing ample potatoes, onions, carrots, etc., but Mr. A and I also signed up for a CSA (community shared agriculture) in Grande Prairie called Summer's Gold. I was told the portions are huge and the food's amazing. The food is grown locally, and they deliver packages each week to GP. And the price isn't bad, so we went for it.

We purchased the small portion (you can pick small or large), and we decided to split it with a friend (who gets 1/3 of the haul each week) because we had no idea how much to expect! Our first package came a couple weeks ago with radishes, lettuce, green onion, and strawberries.


Honestly, I thought the portions were smaller than I was lead to believe. But the owner assures me that they will get bigger as the summer goes on! The fruit and veggies were all very good. No denying that. My other concern is that I'm going to get a truck load of veggies that I have no clue what to do with! I managed to finish my green onion from week one, but now I have some lingering from week two while I await my week three package tonight! I'd rather have twice as many strawberries - if I could choose! But maybe it'll force me to be creative. I have to learn what I'm gonna do with an abundance of radishes, squash, zuccini, etc. that I don't ever purchase in a typical grocery trip. 


Here's to my healthy eating vegetable experiment! 

{yumm}

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yum, strawberries!
We have radishes from our garden right now.. My fave is just slicing them thinly and eating them raw in salad. Gives a little kick! You should try grilling squash and zucchini on the BBQ when they arrive... So good. Enjoy the veges! I love summer harvest.. :)

 
At July 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Lindi said...

Yummm... I am totally going to grill some veggies this summer! I'm excited for squash now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home